Friday 6 January 2012

Doing the right thing?

There is so much talk about doing the right thing.

As individuals it seems most times we're drawn to doing what is 'right'. I remember one day passionately talking to my brother-in-law about charity work I was doing and how good it was and he challenged me on that, and made me reflect on who was getting the most benefit. As, there are times we think we are helping others, but really we're helping ourselves first, by making ourselves feel good. And there's nothing wrong with that but I have to ask when is 'enough' help 'enough'?

How do we measure the results/impact of our help? How do we assess our own 'work' as such? How do we now that your help is helping to solve the problem. Do we give an individual money or do we teach them how to get it, how to stand on his own? What if that's not what he wants? Are we best placed to say that's what he needs? Don't we need to know someone before we can really offer/provide any kind of sustainable help? Can we really help someone without investing considerable time getting to know the person.

Maybe there's no point knowing. Maybe it's better not knowing them. Most people never really get to know themselves. But how can we truly help someone, anyone at all if we're not interested in them as people? How can we make a difference?

Best help I received in my life came from those who were honest with me, those who weren't trying to make me happy or contribute to my delusions. Best help didn't come in the format of money, material goods or food. It came from attention and love, tough love. And it's the kind of help that you don't see the results short-term, only through growth. It's a long-term investment... I guess there is a place for both to co-exist. But in order to make a difference in the lives of those we want to 'help'  we do need to give up on the short-term satisfaction of feeling good about ourselves and looking good.

I don't know where to start, but I know that there's a lot of 'help' available today that is not good. That is not geared towards the freedom of others, is a 'help' that promotes 'help' and keeps people down.

How can we tell good help from bad help? You let me know.


Definition of Help
help  (hlp)
v. helped, help·ing, helps
v.tr.
1. To give assistance to; aid: I helped her find the book. He helped me into my coat.
2. To contribute to the furtherance of; promote.
3. To give relief to: help the needy.
4. To ease; relieve: medication to help your cold.
5. To change for the better; improve: A fresh coat of paint will help a scarred old table.
6. To refrain from; avoid or resist. Used with can or cannot: couldn't help laughing.
7. To wait on, as in a store or restaurant.
v.intr.
To be of service; give assistance.
n.
1.
a. The act or an instance of helping.
b. Aid or assistance.
2. Relief; remedy.
3. One that helps: You've been a great help. A food processor is a help to the serious cook.
4. A person employed to help, especially a farm worker or domestic servant.
Such employees considered as a group. Often used with the.
Idiom: help (oneself) to
1. To serve or provide oneself with: Help yourself to the cookies.
2. Informal To take (something) without asking permission: The thief helped himself to our family silve

No comments:

Post a Comment