Friday 28 October 2011

Little Children

We're all miracles. Know why? Because as humans, every day we go about our business, and all that time we know... we all know... that the things we love... the people we love, at any time now can all be taken away. We live knowing that and we keep going anyway. Animals don't do that.” - Little Children, movie quote

I found this quote profound. It touched me deeply an it changed me.
I think that most of us live our lives as if we'd be here forever, hardly thinking about it, unless or for most part, when it knocks on our door. We keep leaving things for tomorrow, another day, one day... assuming that we will be here.
Maybe not a fair assumption, maybe there are many of us who do consider it and do carry on, as a miracle. I am one of those who thinks about it. I know that life is very fragile, every day I wake up, every day I breathe, is a blessing.

When you look at this new proposition, then it becomes inconsistent to lead a life in the same careless way. You just can't, I can't.

When I think about it in this way I feel truly alive. I look at life differently, I take in life by bits... the air I breathe, the water I drink, the things I touch... the love I have in my life.

Almost as if by holding this truth I become a different person.

On a book I read 'Tuesday's with Morrie' it tells of this man who's on his dying days and one of the things he does, he organises a pre-death funeral party, a gathering with all his friends where he invites them to share their feelings with him, readings/comments they would say at his funeral. A bit sombre, maybe, but it gives them the chance to share their feelings with him whilst he is alive. Makes perfect sense to me!

We're funny creatures like that. We hold on to all these things with a plan to do it one day. The moment is now. Who knows about tomorrow?

Love. Explore. Dream. Discover. Today.

2 comments:

  1. Like the man on "Tuesdays with Morrie", we often talk about plans for when we depart in my family of origin. Not many people like that. To me (us) it starts to taken the burden of deciding what to do when that time comes. As I understand, so many families quarrel over that decision while they're also mourning and often the wish of the deceased gets overlooked.
    It's amazing how so many of us let the minimal things like placing a call to someone or forgiving... Who knows when the end comes? As much as possible, I live in the moment with the perspective or the hope the continue for many more experiences...
    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow such an eye opener.... sometimes we forget to live in the now and live on the tomorrow not seeing that life is passing us by... well said...

    ReplyDelete